(Pronounce Po’ boys – shorten from Poor Boys. It was originally named this for the men who were on strike, who had no money, who originated these sandwiches)
This week we both have New Orleans on our minds and in our hearts. I (Mira) went to Tulane University in that amazing city that is full of life and culture and yes… perhaps the most delicious food in the USA. With the rain and flooding that is devastating New Orleans we wanted to share a little taste of that great city in hopes that people will remember to do what they can to help the people living there.
This recipe is not our own… or at least it didn’t start out that way. It comes from one of our favorite ketogenic chefs, Maria Emmerich. It appears in her book entitled The Ketogenic Cookbook, which is just filled with fabulous and flavorful options for those choosing the low carb lifestyle. In this book, she highlights our SKINNYFat oil as the best cooking oil, the best source of MCT oil to be used in the kitchen. In this recipe, we are taking the liberty to tweak it a bit to utilize SKINNYFat in the mayonnaise rather than bacon fat, as SKINNYFat will boost the metabolism while reducing the omega-6 greatly. Bacon fat has approximately a 10:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 and using SKINNYfat mayo eliminates nearly all, 98%, of the inflammation-causing omega-6!
FYI… if you are in search of super simple and quick recipes she has yet another cookbook that we know you will adore! This one is called Quick and Easy Ketogenic Cooking and it is perfect for those who don’t have too much time to spend in the kitchen.
So, let’s turn up the Cajun music, take an imaginary ride on the streetcar and create some Rich Food approved po’ boys the whole family will love.
Shrimp Po’ Boys
Makes 2 sandwiches
Ingredients for the KETO rolls (makes 14 slices / takes 40 minutes)
- 6 large, pastured organic eggs, separated
- ¼ cup INPOWER whey or INPOWER plant protein
- ¼ tsp organic onion powder
NOTE: You could also use our Micronutrient Miracle non-naan from the Micronutrient Miracle here!
Ingredients for the SKINNYFat Cajun mayonnaise
- 2 large organic, pasture-raised egg yolks
- 1 large organic, pasture-raised whole egg
- 1 Tbsp organic mustard
- 1⁄4 tsp unrefined sea salt 1⁄4 tsp organic pepper
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice or organic white vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 cup SKINNYFat Original
- Organic Cajun spice to taste
Ingredients for the dressing
- ¼ cup Cajun mayonnaise from above recipe
- 2 TBSP organic Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. dill pickle juice
- ½ pound medium shrimp peeled and deveined.
- 2 tsp. organic seafood seasoning
- 2 TBSP SKINNYfat original
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium red onion sliced thin
- 1 tomato sliced thin
- Make Keto Rolls
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease cookie sheet
- Whip the egg whites till very stiff.
- Slowly fold in protein powder & seasoning.
- Next slowly fold in the yolks.
- Pour into the cookie sheet and bake for about 40 min until golden brown. Cut into slices to be used under the Po’Boy.
- Make the Mayonnaise
- Combine the eggs, mustard, salt, pepper, and lemon juice or vinegar in a blender or food processor at low to medium speed until smooth.
- Slowly pour the SKINNYFat into the blender while mixing.
- Once all of the SKINNYFat has been mixed in, you will have a creamy, smooth, homemade mayonnaise. Keep refrigerated.
- Make the dressing from the mayonnaise and set aside.
- Preheat a skillet over medium high. Add in the garlic and SKINNYFat and saute for 5 minutes.
- Toss the shrimp with the seafood seasoning and add to pan and saute 3 minutes per side of shrimp until they turn opaque. Remove the contents from heat and set aside
- Lightly Brown 2 pieces of bread in the garlic and oil coated pan until golden brown. Place them on a plate and top with Cajun mayo, as well as red onion & tomato slices.
- Eat up and enjoy!