We’ve UPGRADED our SKINNYfat Olive so it is time for you to upgrade your salads as well!
We are SUPER EXCITED to announce that our SKINNYFat Olive now has ZERO coconut flavor. We’ve eliminated the “hint of coconut” flavor from our incredible ketogenic, fat-burning oil… but don’t fret. Our SKINNYFat Olive still deliciously delivers the full Mediterranean flavor of organic extra virgin olive oil while reducing the omega-6 levels of traditional olive oil by 85%, allowing you to enjoy the health benefits with significantly less risk of inflammation. This makes it perfect for the amazing recipes we give you in this week’s blog!
Spring is here and that means that great local greens and enticing seasonal vegetables are hitting the farmers markets. It is time to celebrate this bounty with vitamin and mineral packed salads. However, we want to make sure we don’t ruin them by coating them with store bought dressings that serve up a plateful of poor food, potentially dangerous ingredients.
First, let’s uncover the dangers with most store bought dressings, and then we will supply our simple salad solutions.
10 dangerous dressing ingredients
- Vinegar: Most vinegar today is derived from corn! This is just another way GMO products are lining store shelves.
- Sugar: Not only does the sugar add unwanted calories and cause fat-storing insulin spikes, but the sugar blocks the absorption of many of the vitamins and minerals that you may otherwise receive from the vegetables and proteins in the salad bowl. Also likely from GMO sugar beets.
- Guar Gum: This thickener significantly reduces the absorption of eyesight enhancing carotenoids beta-carotene, lycopene and lutein.
- Disodium EDTA: While it may preserve the color and flavor of the dressing it depletes vitamin C, magnesium, iron, calcium, zinc and potassium.
- Artificial Colors: Potentially carcinogenic colors like Blue 1, Blue 2, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, and Red 40 are often added to dressings to make them more visually appealing, causing the brain to desire greater quantities of food.
- High Fructose Corn Syrup: This likely GMO product does not allow the body to secrete leptin (the hormone that tells you when you are full), spikes insulin and depletes the body of chromium, magnesium, zinc and copper.
- Maltodextrin: Just another GMO sweetener.
- Monosodium Glutamate (MSG): This flavor enhancer may be hiding under numerous aliases, but should be avoided due to its numerous negative health effects including migraines, brain damage, and its ability induce hunger.
- Artificial Sweeteners in Low Calorie Dressings: From sucralose, which destroys your good gut bacteria, to aspartame, which has been proven to over stimulate leptin and may be linked to cancer and Alzheimer’s, these artificial sweeteners should never make it into your shopping cart.
AND #10 – The biggest problem with store bought dressings is the INEXPENSIVE, OFTEN GENETICALLY MODIFIED OILS: Traditionally, the store bought dressings utilize potentially GMO corn, canola and soybean oils. Even dressings labeled as olive oil dressings often contain very little olive oil in addition to the less expensive GMO vegetable oils. Organic canola and soybean are no better. While they are GMO free, these oils are highly processed man-made oils that contribute to the pro-inflammatory omega 6: omega 3 imbalance in our modern diets.
We also want to caution you against avocado oil salad dressings. While they may appear healthier they will also cause that inflammatory response due to their high levels of omega 6. You can read the whole story and watch a short video explanation here.
It’s simple. You can make delicious and healthy salad dressing at home utilizing our favorite oils and simple ingredients. Let’s examine how to choose oil.
COCONUT OIL: You’ve probably already heard about the scientifically proven, heart-healthy, cholesterol-normalizing, immune-supportive, thyroid-boosting, anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-protozoal properties of organic virgin coconut oil. However, there is a problem using coconut oil in your favorite recipes – it makes everything you prepare taste like coconuts. Additionally, because coconut oil is solid at room temp (76°F) it can be hard to work for dressings.
MCT OIL: If you haven’t heard about MCT oil yet, you’re going to love this: MCT simply stands for medium chain triglycerides, specialized fats that have been naturally extracted from coconut or palm oil. Not only is it nearly impossible for your body to store MCT oil as body fat, but peer-reviewed published research also shows that MCT increases metabolism, reduces body fat, and improves insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance. However, just like coconut oil, there is a problem with MCT too. When used on its own it has been known to cause stomach upset—making it unpopular outside high performance athletic and scientific circles.
Olive Oil: Quality organic extra virgin olive oil has long been recognized for its beneficial health properties (i.e. enhanced micronutrient absorption), but it too has a problem. Olive oil is very high in omega-6 fatty acids, a type of fatty acid known by medical science to cause inflammation – a precursor to many of today’s most deadly health conditions and diseases. A little omega 6 is good, but too much may have a negative effect.
SKINNYFat Oils: SKINNYFat is a unique proprietary blend of Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs) and organic virgin coconut oil, and SKINNYFat Olive starts with our original formulation and adds in just the right amount of organic extra virgin olive oil for a completely new flavor dimension. By blending these beneficial oils together, in just the right ratios, SKINNYFat solves the individual problems of all three fats. First, SKINNYFat has solved the challenges of cooking with coconut oil by eliminating the distinct coconut taste, making it compatible with any dish. Additionally, SKINNYFat is liquid at room temperature and even stays liquid when refrigerated.
Next, SKINNYFat all but eliminates the stomach upset that can occur when using MCT oil on its own. And last, but not least, SKINNYFat Olive successfully and deliciously delivers the full Mediterranean flavor of organic extra virgin olive oil while reducing the omega-6 levels of traditional olive oil by 85%, allowing you to enjoy the health benefits with significantly less risk of inflammation. GRAB YOUR UPGRADED SKINNYFAT OLIVE TODAY!
You will see in the recipes below we use only the healthiest fats, and omit any of the dangerous ingredients above. They are all low in carbohydrates and maybe most importantly… they taste great!
We hope that you enjoy our spring salad dressing recipes!
All the best,
Mira & Jayson Calton Nutrition
Founders of Calton Nutrition