Many people feel a bit guilty that they are enjoying alcoholic beverages, and while excessive drinking is not good for the body, as it can wreak havoc on your micronutrient levels, a little bit now and again is incredibly health promoting.
But, before you pour that glass of cabernet, there are a few important things you need to know. While wine has been shown to have proven health benefits – from improving heart health to fighting cavities – not all wines are created equal.
Most wines these days, both white and red, are highly processed, meaning they are created in factories, and with additives such as juice, syrup, sugar, and sawdust, to name a few. Additionally, there are 76 chemicals and additives approved by the FDA for use in wine making. You read that right, seventy six!
You’re probably wondering where these additives are coming from…
- Oak chips/dust are commonly used in a soaking process called “oaking the wine”. This is a cheaper alternative to letting wine soak in traditional, more expensive wooden barrels, where it would gain slow oxidation benefits.
- MegaPurple is a brand name for a food additive (grape juice syrup) produced from purple-fleshed grapes that is used in approximately 25 million bottles of wine per year. It’s added to give the wine an appearance of a deeper, richer color and sweeter flavor.
Wait, don’t panic! Certainly don’t let this information put a damper on your celebrations.
We recently had the pleasure of meeting Todd White, the founder of Dry Farm Wines, whose mission is to provide the finest natural, organic and biodynamic wines.
Dry Farm Wines is just what we here at Calton Nutrition have been looking for. They are the only wine club in the world that is currently offering healthy wines made from organic and natural farming practices, as well as low intervention natural winemaking practices. Dry Farm Wines doesn’t actually make any wines at all, instead they curate wines from all over the world, working with small family farms that are committed to producing pure natural wines. All of Todd’s wines are lab tested to meet specific standards of purity.
Why do we think Dry Farm Wines are superior?
- Low alcohol. Wines can range in alcohol from 7 – 24% alcohol by volume. However, alcohol on the label is not required by the US Government to be accurate. It is simply “stated” and there is zero U.S. enforcement for accuracy. Dry Farm Wine tests every wine to verify it is at or below what is stated on the label and wines do not exceed a naturally occurring 12.5% alcohol. That allows you to enjoy a night of wine without feeling hung-over in the morning.
- Low sulfites. The US government restricts added sulfites in wine to 350 ppm (parts per million). For now, Todd has created a standard not to exceed 75 ppm in their wines and most of the wines they represent are below 50 ppm. Low sulfites mean higher levels of beneficial bacteria in the wine.
- Sugar Free. Their wines are lab tested for fructose and glucose, the two sugars found in wine. All of the Dry Farm wines are <1g/L of total sugars, per bottle! This is statistically sugar free. These low/no sugars are naturally occurring, nothing added or taken away. This means drinking several glasses won’t knock you out of ketosis!
Now you can drink up, guilt free! A recent study out of the University of Oregon showed that consumption of 19 grams of alcohol—about two small glasses of wine—helped preserve bone strength just as well as bisphosphonates, a type of drug used by hundreds of thousands of women to combat thinning bones. Finnish researchers concur; in 2013 they determined that women drinking more than three alcoholic drinks a week had significantly higher bone density than abstainers. Make no bones about it, moderate alcohol intake helps osteoporosis, but its benefits don’t stop there. Two Harvard studies revealed that, compared to abstainers, the risk of death from all causes was reduced by up to 28 percent among men and women who drank alcohol moderately.
We are happy to share Dry Farm Wines with you, and extend an offer for our readers to claim a bottle for just one penny. You’ll get a full sized bottle for just one penny, when you place a club order. And the best part is, Todd is so sure you will love his wines that he offers a 100% total satisfaction guarantee – if you don’t like a wine for any reason, just let him know and he will send you another for free! Click here to learn more.